Pages

Wednesday 8 October 2014

MUA Luxe Velvet Lip Lacquer in Halcyon and A Flush

I'm very fond of my MUA Velvet Lip Lacquer in the shade Kooky, so I wanted to try out their new shades too. These babies are only 3 pounds apiece, which I think is a very fair price for a great matter lipstick. The formula is liquid to matte and they come with a doe-foot applicator.

Funk (of the older colour, not reviewed here), A Flush and Halcyon.
A Flush is a very bright pink. With my skin tone it's almost neon. It applies well and stays on my lips for 6+ hours. After six-ish hours the wear in the middle becomes noticeable, but it's easy to carefully apply a bit more there.

I don't recommend applying more than one layer, the product can then feel very heavy. It does not smudge but comes off in little bits. Feels a bit dry on the lips, but doesn't actually dry them too much, so once you get past the weird feeling, everything is fine. Needs to be removed with a oil-based make-up remover.

A Flush

A Flush
Halcyon is a mauve by my definitions. It's a reddish, brownish earthy tone that I can imagine suits many skin tones. On my it's almost a my-lips-but-better -shade, just makes lips look more defined and adds a little bit of colour, but not so much that it would be noticeable when the lipstick starts to wear off. I had thought based on swatches that Halcyon would be more brown and lighter, but I like it more as it is. A great shade for everyday wear, goes on smooth, not too bright or flashy, and lasts ages on your lips. 

The formula is the same as in A Flush, a second layer makes it feel a bit too heavy for my taste, but one smooth layer is enough and it's easy to get the product go on evenly. I like the doe-foot applicator, it's easy to do sharp edges with it.

Halcyon

Halcyon
The packages a simple and elegant. The product is in a frosted plastic tube and the cap has the same texture. The cap has the company logo in golden lettering. The products generally look a bit lighter in the tube than on lips, as you can see from the picture below.

Funk (not reviewed in this post), A Flush and Halcyon.
Pros

+Good applicator
+Package looks good
+Product is easy to apply
+Lasts on the lips well
+Easy to remove (with an oil-based make-up remover)
-Halcyon is a great shade for many skin tones

Cons

-A Flush is hard to wear as a shade (too neon for me!)
-Availability (MUA is not sold in Finland, I order it through their UK site and pay around five pounds for shipping)

4 comments:

  1. I love these! I have the shade kooky and also the dark red one (can't remember the name but its the most perfect shade of red for me). I do find the doe foot applicator difficult so I tend to use a brush, which also helps to get it on underneath my lipring :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Using a brush sounds like an excellent idea, thanks!

      Delete
  2. Lovely products!! By the way, did you see that NYX has launched the soft matte lipcream in new colours? One of them is called Transylvania and looks absolutely perfect, it is dark purple :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...